Self Development Academy (SDA) develops the following lifelong learning skills in our students:
- Self assurance: SDA provides a nurturing, family-focused environment that helps develop a strong sense of identity. The long-term commitment of qualified faculty and staff reassures the students and fosters the development of the ideal self.
- Development of potential: SDA has designed an accelerated educational experience to challenge students to reach for the next level of cognitive development. Regular one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction help students master the curriculum concepts and provide opportunities for practice and self-reflection. Direct interactions with teachers at critical stages serve as building blocks for higher-level thinking.
- Transformational learning: Through SDA enrichment programs (link) students learn higher-level thinking, develop creative abilities to synthesize information, and become familiar with the scientific method. Students appreciate the arts, delve into historical events, and learn about belief systems of various cultures and traditions.
- Valuing democratic principles: SDA guides students to respect themselves, their peers and adults in their lives. The participation in student government encourages acceptance of differences and lays the foundation for becoming responsible citizens who value the democratic principles.
- Technology proficient: Besides weekly computer instructions for all students, SDA provides a laptop for each student in the middle school as part of the classroom instructional approach. Students learn how to access and assess information on the Internet. Use of computer technology including tablets and interactive boards are incorporated into the elementary school classrooms as well.
- Collaboration and teamwork: SDA offers numerous extracurricular activities, Sports Club, Violin/Strings Program, Percussion Program, Math Counts, Science Bowl, and Dance Club. These clubs provide opportunities to learn to collaborate and work in teams.